Monday, November 22, 2004

Swimming with the Sharks

Ever hear the quote "You don't want to be a big fish in a small pond"? I think that very much applies to me. Back in High School at least academically, I was able to hang with the best of the best. The hardest classes which your average student didn't do so well, I excelled at. I barely studied and the worst I ever got was a B. I really should have gotten a 4.0 but for me I took my 3.7 and ran with it. Barely did anything and for the most part got an A- average in the toughest classes Cambridge High had to offer. This is the perfect recipe for disaster though when you enter college. In retrospect I really wish everything didn't come so easy to me. My first quarter at Ohio State was decent. I got A 3.1 average. I also got my first C in Math 151. For the first time a class totally rocked me. I never learned how to study because up until then I never really had to. The next couple quarters I thought I could do what I've always done and get through it. Big mistake, as I blew an almost locked up A in Economics by blowing off the final. I went from an A all the way down to a B-. Now I'm at Math 152 and I'm wondering if I can just get a C- in the class. That's right C-. I took my third midterm today and again got rocked. In high school by my senior year I never once took a book home. Now I'm in the fight of my life just for a C-. At least once this is done I don't need any more math ever for my business degree so I should be okay. My other classes are decent and if I can shake Math 152, I'll be in decent shape to try and recover. If I could say one thing to myself as a senior in High School, it would be don't think those students who didn't match up to you aren't better off. They have one thing you don't and that's the work ethic to get it done when it really matters. It's a hard lesson I'm learning now. However with my natural ability with the work ethic, I should be able to get back into a dominating position again. I was a big fish in a small pond. Now I'm gonna gun for being a Shark in the Ocean. Wish me luck.

Eric

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home